Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Just a few threats to the republic...

Hi everyone, thanks for returning to Present Day Patriots! If you are visiting the site for the first time, I encourage you to read my previous posts!

The Texas State Board of Education will begin discussion on Social Studies curriculum this week for new textbooks for the state. A number of ideas have been proposed, and several in particular caught my attention. From http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6526101.html ...

“…biographies of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Stephen F. Austin have been removed from the early grades’, said Brooke Terry of the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

The early draft, which is likely to change multiple times in the coming months, also removes Independence Day, Veterans' Day, and anthems and mottos for both Texas and the United States in a section on holidays, customs and celebrations, she said.”

The fact that these omissions are even a possibility really scares me, to be honest. I admit, I’m a bit of a history nerd… I’ve been obsessed with American History literally for as long as I can remember. My parents raised me with an enormous respect and reverence for the ideas and the people and that created America…

But no child is too young to learn of their country’s founders and those that defended the republic. The past must be taught so that it may teach us how to live in the present and ensure a secure future. If future generations of America remain ignorant on their history and do not know from where their freedoms and liberties came, if they do not respect the sacrifices it took to establish the rights we take for granted everyday, how will such freedoms and liberties be respected, defended and preserved in the years to come?

I do not expect everyone to be as history obsessed as I am… but I do believe that every American has the responsibility to be educated on their nations past and the men and women that sacrificed everything us.

As celebrated author David McCullough said, “History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are.”

By the way, if you want another scare, check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEEtScHIC1U This caught my attention on Glenn Beck’s show yesterday. Just listen to this whack job, Jed Brandt, an American Communist. His radical opinions are disturbing, and a prime example of the danger our republic is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment