Saturday, January 7, 2012

Thoughts on Ron Paul

You’ve probably noticed I haven’t mentioned many of the GOP candidates specifically on my blog yet. And as I stated in my previous post, it’s because I’m simply undecided and, frankly, skeptical of each of the candidates for one reason or another. But there’s one particular candidate I’ve heard countless conflicting opinions about, and that’s Ron Paul.

Some folks call Ron Paul a nut, and others show a fierce devotion to his campaign. So I decided to do some research about just what makes this guy so despised and admired at the same time. Still, after reading about him and watching some video clips about him and his campaign platform, I don’t quite know what to think.

Here’s some of the info and opinions I found on Ron Paul. I haven’t made any decision or commitment to any GOP candidate yet, but wanted to share with you what I found as you may or may not have seen some of it before. I welcome your comments for or against Ron Paul, and any of the other candidates as well!

I’ll start with a little background info: Ron Paul went to Gettysburg College, and Duke University’s School of Medicine. He was formerly a gynecologist/obstetrician, and has reportedly delivered over 4,000 babies. He served in the United States Air Force as a flight surgeon, and later in the Texas Air National Guard. He serves as the representative from Texas’s 14th district. He is a Baptist, and his political leanings have been described as “conservative, Constitutionalist, and libertarian.”

From what I have read, Ron Paul bases much of his campaign on the Constitution. He seems to believe firmly in small government, and that states should decide on social issues not detailed within the Constitution. Something I have heard Dr. Paul say several times is, “Get government out of your life.” I think this sums up his political views—he is pro-life, opposes the War on Drugs, and believes the federal government should stay out of marriage, but believes the states should make decisions on these and other moral issues.

A concern among many voters with Paul is his views on foreign policy. I found this video (I believe it was put together by Veterans for Ron Paul) that really made me consider his ideas on foreign policy further than I had previously. It’s 13 minutes long, but please watch all of it. I’m still in the process of researching more about Ron Paul’s foreign policy stance, but I found the video pretty interesting.



Another issue people have with Ron Paul is his opinion that the United States should drastically cut foreign aid, even to Israel. I found a blog post by Rafi Farber, a member of Jews for Ron Paul, and blogger at Settlersofsamaria.org. It’s a long blog post, probably one of the better-written pieces I’ve read in a long time. But it’s worth your time to read all of it. Here’s the link: http://settlersofsamaria.org/vote-ron-paul-free-israel/ I know its one person’s opinion, but a fascinating perspective, nonetheless. (*Note: if the hyperlinks don't work, copy and paste the web address into another browser to get to the link!)

I also want to add that Ron Paul is known as “Dr. No” and, he “never vote[s] for legislation unless the proposed measure is expressly authorized by the Constitution." Also, Rick Santorum’s own nephew, John Garver, a 19-year-old student at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, wrote about why he is supporting Ron Paul rather than his uncle. Here’s the link: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/the-trouble-with-my-uncle-rick-santorum/

Thoughts and comments on Congressman Paul? To be honest, previously, I didn’t consider him a serious candidate with any chance of beating Barack Obama; after some research, I am beginning to think he is not only a person of principle, but also capable of beating Obama. Though I’m not completely sold, nor do I endorse Paul or any other candidate yet, I do appreciate his dedication to the Constitution. He respects America’s governing document unlike our current fearless leader, and arguably more than many of the GOP candidates.

Just thought I would share some different perspectives with you on one of the most-talked-about candidates in the 2012 presidential race. Comments are welcome; hope you all have a chance to watch the ABC Debate tonight!

Have a great evening! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment