Tuesday, June 12, 2012

EF Collegians Blog! & George HW Bush...

Hey friends! I know this is my second post today, but this summer I have so much more time to blog compared to during the school year I figure I might as well take advantage of it. I hope you all are enjoying my posts! Don't forget to check out my other writing on TheCollegeConservative.com. And beginning today, you'll also be able to read my blog posts on the newly launched Eagle Forum Collegians blog!

As you may or may not know, I am interning at Eagle Forum this summer. So far, I LOVE IT. Eagle Forum is an organization that was started by the legendary Phyllis Schlafly to promote faith, family, and freedom and to educate Americans on those three things, doing so in various ways...one being Eagle Forum Collegians. This summer I'll be updating the blog regularly, and so will the other Eagle Forum interns. Videos of past and future Eagle Forum Collegians Summit speakers will soon be posted, as well, and other commentary on current events. Please check it out regularly and share it with your friends, especially any college students you know! 

And one more thing I wanted to talk about...today I was looking at Yahoo News and came across a story about an emotional interview with former President George H. W. Bush. He interviewed with his granddaughter, Jenna Bush Hager (a Today Show contributor) and discussed aging, and read an emotional letter he wrote to his family, reflecting on his life. You can read the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/george-hw-bush-jenna-today-interview-video-151030029--finance.html (Copy and paste into search bar if link doesn't work!)

What struck me most, though, were the comments on this article. I scrolled through and was disgusted, saddened, and really disturbed to see so many comments directed at the former President, like "the sooner you die the better," "drop dead, you're Hitler," "may it be your last birthday and take your white trash family with you," etc etc. Scroll down to the bottom of the Yahoo page if you really want to read more comments like this.

I'm not perfect nor am I saying I'm better than the people who made these comments, but I have to vent. Reading all those similar comments gives me little hope for humanity. Ok, so you don't agree with what Bush Sr. did during his presidency, and/or you don't agree with his political views. But have we lowered ourselves as a people and a society that much to wish DEATH on those we disagree with? To those who wrote those comments--yes, he's a republican. But he's a HUMAN first, just like you are. Disagree, dislike his leadership and what he did as President, great! Everyone has an opinion. But can we please not lower ourselves to such hate and malice that we wish death on those with whom we disagree?

Also, sadly and ironically, I'm betting many of those people who made such comments towards Bush Sr. are dedicated supporters and fans of things like the "NO H8" campaign. So much for "no hate." It's funny how that double standard works.

No comments:

Post a Comment