Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Government Big Enough to Give You Everything...

Hi again, all… if you’re just visiting my blog for the first time, check out my previous posts and become a follower, and a fan of the Present Day Patriots page on Facebook! (It already has around 55 fans after just one week!) Before I go any further, I have another favorite quote to share that I think is very relevant to many of today’s current debates…

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have.” –Thomas Jefferson

That brings me to today’s topic: the epic battle over health care. I think I’ll begin with the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of, or read about, this debate. Turn on the news and listen to something regarding this issue… so-and-so will vote yes on the most recent bill because so-and-so won’t support their campaign in the next election, or will ruin their careers if they vote no. It’s sickening; those who were elected BY the people no longer seem to be LISTENING to the people, but rather, their colleagues. In fact, it doesn’t seem to even be about the people anymore. It’s a matter of power, of political parties, of endorsement promises. Around 55% of voters in a Rasmussen poll (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/september_2009/health_care_reform) … “would rather see Congress scrap the original plan and start all over.” And yet these “civil servants”—a term to be used loosely—never seem to be able to keep up with citizens phone calls; they have turned a deaf ear to their constituents and continue to press forward with the most recent healthcare bill.

There ARE problems in the health care system. It DOES need work. But this bill, and government-run health care in general, are not the answer. Our system is one that has drawn citizens of countries that have universal health care TO the United States to receive decent care. Our system needs refining, not total annihilation and replacement.

Everything about this bill, including the American people it will affect, is screaming NO, but Congress is still fighting. It is estimated that this plan is capable of putting the country in bankruptcy within four years (http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/governor-races/87061-cahill-blasts-dem-healthcare-bill). As a teenager, I find this incredibly alarming… along with the ridiculous deficit, who will be paying for this? My generation, and the generations that follow.
Equally disturbing, nearly 45% of doctors polled in a Fox News poll, “said they would consider leaving their practice or retiring early if the proposed health care bill was to pass.” (http://health.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/09/16/45-of-doctors-oppose-proposed-health-care-bill/)
If—and by if, I mean, God forbid—this bill passes, it will virtually change the United States… and I fear, not for the better.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi recently stated that citizens offering up their opposing views of healthcare reform are “un-American”. (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/10/tight-spot-pelosi-calls-health-care-critics-american) Tell me, what is “un-American” in exercising the right to free speech and assembly? What is American in ignoring the will of the American people? Also, something else that really made my hair stand on end… the “Pelosi Surprise”… “…we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.” Check out a video clip here… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoE1R-xH5To Does anyone know what's in this 1,990 page "surprise"?

I feel that the Founders and those in history who have fought so relentlessly to ensure a “government of the people, by the people, for the people” (The Gettysburg Address) would roll over in their graves if they knew the danger the republic faces at present.

I’m not saying I know the answer to this problem, but I know what its not. I return to the quote, “A government big enough to give you everything you want is capable of taking away everything you have.” There IS a problem with healthcare; the system does need improvements. But the answer does not lie in more government intervention!


I'm sure I will recieve a lot of flak for the opinions and facts stated here, but I know I speak for many, many Americans when I say that We the People want Congress to scrap this bill and start over...We the People want representation...and
We the People want our voices heard by those elected to LISTEN and REPRESENT the people!

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. Have you sent a copy of this to your senator? You need to, amazing a teenager has more insight and commonsense then most people in Washington have!

    ReplyDelete