Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Words of Thoreau

Hey everyone! I have been a bit swamped with school work this week, which is why I have been slow to post. Thanks for finding Present Day Patriots, and double thanks to the readers that keep coming back! :) If this is your first visit, take a look at my previous posts, and become a follower or a fan of the Present Day Patriots page on Facebook!

I am currently in the process of writing a political essay for my AP English class. During my research I have found a few quotes I think you will find interesting. From Henry David Thoreau's "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience"...

-"I heartily accept the motto,--'That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe--'that government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it that will be the kind of government which they will have. Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient."

-"Governments show thus how successfully men can be imposed on, even impose on themselves, for their own advantage. It is excellent, we must all allow. Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of its way. IT does not keep the country free. IT does not settle the West. IT does not educate. The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

-"But, to speak practically and as a citizen, unlike those who call themselves no-government men, I ask for, not at once no government, but AT ONCE a better government."

-"The authority of government, even such as I am willing to submit to... is stil an impure on: To be strictly just, it must have the sanction and consent of the governed. It can have no pure right over my person and property but what I concede to it. The progress from an absolute to a limited monarchy, from a limited monarchy to a democracy, is a progress toward a true respect for the individual."

Each of these quotes can be applied to today's current state of affairs. In general, I found Thoreau's argument in favor of small government rather fascinating! If you're interested, here's a link to "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience": http://www.constitution.org/civ/civildis.htm

Spring Break is coming up, so keep checking back for new blog posts! Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I assigned that piece. I got a little nervous when I saw my class featured so prominantly on your blog, but when I realized it was because the readings had spoken to you, I felt way better. In your spare time (ha!) you should read "Walden" by Thoreau. When I live my life according to his suggestions, I am always fulfilled.

    I am glad you enjoyed/appreciated/got something out of the readings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks! Yes, I found Thoreau's article particularly interesting considering my political views :) Thanks for visiting my site, have a good Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete