Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Ostrich Effect

Hey everyone! Sorry for the long absence... AP test week and fast approaching finals week have been keeping me ridiculously busy and unable to post on my blog but I finally have a little time to breathe, so here I am :).

Last weekend I overheard an indirect comment that has been on my mind and that I have a few things to say about. While in normal conversation a few people agreed that, when it comes to politics and events going on in the world today, they "...choose to ignore it." Being the person I am, it took me by surprise. I had known there were people out there that don't keep themselves educated on current events but never had it occurred to me that some of "those people" could exist in my sphere of acquaintances.

So it's been bothering me. These people "choose to ignore it." They don't have time for the stimulus packages, the bailouts, the corrupt politicians, the controversial legislation, the natural disasters, the general abridgements of freedom occuring in the US today... they just don't have time for it. Why watch the news? It's depressing. And Glee is on, anyway. There's nothing I can do. It's ok, we live in America. Bad stuff can't happen here.

I may be generalizing this a bit, but from what I've seen in my peers and adults such as the ones I speak of today, many of the above qualities describe their feelings perfectly. Let me preface this by saying that, I know, I know, not everyone is (nor should be) as intrigued (or is it obsessed?) with politics and current events as I am... and I am not saying they should be. Nor am I trying to bash those that don't pay attention to the news or what's going on in this country in general. I'm expressing my belief that it is the responsibility of every citizen of this country to stay educated--through legit sources--on what is going on in their nation.

Everyone is busy. Appointments. Kids to take care of. Careers. School. Studying. I know, because half my life my nose has been stuck in a text book. It can get difficult to even remember to eat, let alone keep up on current events. But we've got to. It's not an option anymore. Politics and current events have turned from optional interests to events, legislation, actions that will affect every American personally, and it is our responsibility to keep tabs on it... if government gets out of hand--as it is--We the People must stand up, speak out, and do something about it. But if everyone "chooses to ignore it" and remains in their happy worlds, oblivious to what is going on outside, "... then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." (Washington)

I'll use the simile of an ostrich with it's head in the sand.

If we keep our heads in the sand--if we choose to ignore the government that is growing bigger and yet more incompetent every single day--then whatever we are dealt from the said government, we deserve all the more. We can't stand idly by while our Consitution is being trampled, our freedom of speech being put in danger by those who cry "racist" at every turn, we can't stand idly by while government takes hold of our healthcare and allows individuals illegally on American soil to hold jobs while unemployment is in the double digits. We can't stand idly by while our hard earned income is given to someone who hasn't worked--or tried to work--a day in their life.
There are the people who don't want to be bothered with the troublesome state of the country, and then there are those who care, but don't know what to do. They think there isn't anything they CAN do. I was one of those people. I had so much pent up emotion for this country and I didn't know where to direct it. I cried on several occasions... (not kidding...) because it was (and still is) painful to watch the country our Founding Fathers fought SO hard to stabilize be knocked down to her knees repeatedly because of greed and a hunger for power. That's why I started this blog, with the encouragement of family members. I don't know if I'm making a difference--maybe I am, maybe I'm not. But I'm expressing my right to free speech and if I can impact only one person with my words, I feel I've accomplished something. There is something you can do. Speak out and regardless, stand for what you believe in. Start a blog. Write letters to the editor. Stay educated and informed.
And then there are those that just want to avoid conflict. I'm only 17 but in school and outside of school, I have come across so many people that walk away when politics are brought up in conversation, or avoid the subject altogether to either avoid conflict, or avoid the judgement by others they might be subject to if their views differ. I've lost so many friends--that weren't friends at all, really-- because I refused to bend my beliefs in order to "follow the crowd." It's hurt and I've felt alone and I've been judged, a lot. But at the end of the day, what other people think of me doesn't matter, and I know I'm a better person for it... and someone's got to do the right thing, and as I've learned, it's NEVER the easy thing.
It isn't easy, and no one ever promised it would be... people like the Tea Party patriots have recieved so much flak just for standing up for what this country was intended to be, but they haven't given up. The Founding Fathers could have "chosen to ignore it"... they could have chosen to ignore the oppressive actions of Britain. But they knew that it was wrong. They knew and believed that all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. The Founders didn't choose the easy way, they choose the right way, and the one they believed in, and the one that has given us every ounce of freedom we enjoy in America today.
Patrick Henry said, “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” In order to restrain our government, to keep it in check so it CAN'T dominate our lives in interests, we must know OF the Constitution... but when we bury our heads in the sand and "choose to ignore it" ... our power to maintain the republic will become inept.


4 comments:

  1. Excellent post, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this whole stay informed concept, however, I met some people recently (In California, big surprise) who claimed to be informed. As much as you do, if not more. Yet when I started questioning them on their "research" they pulled mainstream media and Katie Couric. The specific person I'm refering to called himself "an elite member of the informed left," a stark misnomer if I ever heard one. But I found it impossible to argue with him, because no matter what he claimed his sources were "stronger" and "more accurate" than mine, despite the plethora of both mainstream and not-so media I piled in his inbox. So how do I win a battle no longer about the ideals, but the sources themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And so is the major problem of our ad hominem society, where people so often ignore the validity of an argument in favor of dismissing the source. Kaci, I feel your pain; combating mass ignorance perpetrated on the majority of Americans by a media that slants news and an education system (and yes, I am part of this) that omits or changes the past to fit with political doctrine is not an easy proposition. The most important argument/idea to consider and discuss, though, is the necessity of discerning the truth through a variety of news sources. One who relies solely on Keith Olberman or Sean Hannity to understand or learn about current events without taking into account multiple sources is doomed to ignorance and will continue shouting fallacies into the air.

    All you can do is point out the hypocrisy and be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Farhad Manjoo so wisely says: "Increasingly, our arguments aren’t over what we *should* be doing–- in the Iraq War, in the war on terrorism, on global warming, or about any number of controversial subjects-- but, instead, over what is *happening*...the creeping partisanship has begun to distort our very perceptions about what is “real” and what isn’t. Indeed, you can go so far as to say we’re now fighting over competing versions of reality."

    ReplyDelete