Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Soldiers Angels

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.


(Attributed to Charles Michael Province, U.S Army)

This poem is one of my favorites; it really puts into perspective how fortunate we are as Americans to have the freedoms of religion, press, speech, etc. and it reminds me of who I should thank for these freedoms: our military. I am able to pursue the education I desire, speak my mind on this blog, and go to the church I want to go to on Sundays because of the American soldier.

I have always had a deep respect for men and women in uniform. I realized in early 2011 that there really are no words to express my gratitude for their service to our country, and that is when I discovered an organization called Soldiers Angels.

Soldiers Angels allows participants to directly support deployed and wounded soldiers and their families. You don’t just send off a financial donation and hope it helps. There are dozens of teams and projects to become involved in. Participating in the Adopt A Soldier program and the Letter Writing Team has truly changed my life. I have supported two soldiers with monthly letters and care packages and frequent emails, and each week I receive two soldier addresses. To these I write letters of support and send care packages if they request anything.

I have met some absolutely incredible, selfless, and dedicated people through this program. It has taught me the value of giving without expecting anything in return. I continue to see the dedication of our troops and hope to emulate that selflessness in my own life by helping others. I encourage and challenge you to become involved in Soldiers Angels. It will not only bring a smile to the face of a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan, but I assure you, your life will be changed for the better!

www.soldiersangels.org

No comments:

Post a Comment