Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Letter to the Editor

I am a freshman at Webster University, for those of you who don't know, and as I was scanning through the most recent issue of "The Journal," the student run newspaper last Thursday, I was surprised that there was no mention of Veteran's Day ANYWHERE in the paper. So... I decided to write a Letter to the Editor and remind Journal readers of who we have to thank for our freedoms, and to express my own thanks to veterans and current soldiers in the Webster community. I just submitted it... so we shall see whether or not they publish it!

I thought some of you might want to read it, so here it is...

Dear Editor,

I am surprised and disappointed that there was no mention of Veteran’s Day in the last issue of The Journal. While the expression of different viewpoints within the newspaper is interesting, not an inch of space thanked or recognized the men and women who have served in the US military, whom our nation honors with a day of remembrance on November 11. Though we at home and at school seem to be so occupied (no pun intended) with the matters of our daily lives, we tend to take our freedom for granted. In our complacency and in this era of entitlement, have we so soon forgotten to whom we owe the rights to free speech and press—which allows the free printing of ideas in this paper—and a score of other precious freedoms? I haven’t forgotten; to all faculty and students who have served in any branch of the United States Military, I say THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice. The next time you see an American flag, I encourage students and faculty of Webster to pause and reflect on the high price that has been paid time and again throughout history for that flag to wave freely.

Sincerely,

Sarah Hinds


Thoughts/comments? Hope everyone has a safe, blessed week! :)

3 comments:

  1. Sarah it makes me sad that so many of the Universities in our country are going in this direction. I'm so glad you have the courage to point out this "mistake" and I hope you continue to fight the good fight. May God Bless you and keep you strong, safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an Active Duty servicemember I am grateful to you for your letter and post calling others to remember our nation's veterans and the role they play in our everyday lives.

    The observance being overlooked no longer surprises me. A student calling the faculty and students to rememberance not only surprises me, it impresses me and reminds me that many of our youth hold views of respect and honor that never see the light of day because they just go about doing what need doing quietly.

    Many of us would do well to emulate their example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that! :) keep up the good work!
    -Beth
    http://nextgenerationvoters.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete