Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Right vs. RIGHT.

Hi everyone! Wow, sorry for the ridiculously long absence. It is now the second week of school, and it has been keeping me rather busy. But, I'm setting aside some projects tonight to get back to Present Day Patriots. Quite a bit has been going on since I posted last, and I have been sent some great links by friends that I would like to share.

Undoubtably you've heard about the big New York City Mosque debate... originally named "Cordoba House" ("reference to the Spanish capital where Muslim conquerors vanquished Spanish Catholics in the 8th century" ... spells "conquest" to me) which has been renamed to "Park 51"... basically the intent is to build a mosque and community center just a stone's throw away from Ground Zero. Now, I have a problem with this. A big problem. Let me first say that yes, yes, yes, freedom of religion is a founding principle and a Constitutional right, and I don't care if you pray to God or Allah or Tom Cruise or WHOEVER... as long as you are not persecuting or harming, you have that right. So yeah, build your mosque. Sure.

But is it right? And where is the funding for this mosque coming from? And really, why does it HAVE to be within walking distance to Ground Zero? Really?

A poll of New Yorkers taken in late June illustrated that folks in the Big Apple were against the mosque by 52%... 31% favor, and 17% are undecided. Those are some pretty clear stats.
(http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/New-Yorkers-Oppose-Ground-Zero-Mosque-Poll-97602569.html)

I know, I know, not ALL Muslims believe the same radical ideologies as those who took the lives of almost 3000 Americans on 9/11... I'm definitely not insinuating that. But the perpetrators were practiced RADICAL ISLAM. Turn the picture anyway you want and it's still going to look the same.

Let me remind you that those in New York have a pretty good idea about what happened on the morning of September 11 (not to say that those who do not live in NYC don't...but I mean, it was in their city...just saying).






Looking at those pictures just now, I still am incredulous to the fact that this really happened. New York Mayor Bloomberg stated, "The government should never, never be in the business of telling people how they should pray or where they can pray. We want to make sure that everybody from around the world feels comfortable coming here, living here and praying the way they want to pray.”
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/02/new-york-mosque-controversy-fires-national-campaign/

Totally agree with that, Mayor. But one thing...(and I would think you, as Mayor, would feel a twinge of sensitivity to this, it being your city and all) but can you not understand that Americans are just a tad sensitive with this situation? Or is that just way out of your realm of understanding? This picture sums it up for me...


Muslims consider Mecca holy ground... well, Americans consider Ground Zero, in a way, sacred ground. Being one of the few countries in history to allow such religious freedom to any and all, you think we'd get a *little* respect for that.

To add insult to injury, how about the Greek Orthodox Church, that stood in the shadow of the World Trade Centers, and has yet to be rebuilt? Requests to rebuild this church have been constantly ignored. Wait... what about this freedom of religion, freedom to worship Mr. Obama was talking about? Seems theres more concern for the mosque, than the church that was destroyed in the collapse of the towers.
(http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/17/ground-zero-church-archdiocese-says-officials-forgot/)

And Nancy Pelosi, ever the comedian, wants to investigate the opposition to this mosque. She just never quits. I mean if it weren't for prying into people's lives and denouncing their opinions as lunacy --oh, and spending tax dollars frivolously-- I really don't know what she would do all day.


And lastly I have a classic loon to share with you... seems to me he's been drinking a little too much Kool Aid. He says, in regards to September 11th, "Get over it"... yeah, you read right, and if you don't believe me, watch the clip for yourself! I only wish I could meet the lady who put this guy in his place... just thought I'd share this with you for a little comic relief!


Wow... look at those pictures of Ground Zero that I posted above. Think about the Pentagon. Think about the field in Pennsylvania. Think about Todd Beamer saying the infamous phrase "Let's Roll" on United Flight 93. Can you just "get over it?"

I returned with a rather depressing topic, but it's rather important, I think, and something we can not disregard. So let me just say this... I am all about freedom of religion. You want to pray to God, Allah, Tom Cruise, whoever, that's your prerogative (I'll take God, but that's just me). But, when you want to build a mosque two blocks from the site of buildings taken to the ground, lives ended abruptly, by radical members of your religion, that's where I draw the line. It's a right but... I really don't think its right.





4 comments:

  1. Sarah did you know the building they are talking about building the mosque in is actually considered Ground Zero because the landing gear of one of the planes crashed through the top of that building before hitting one of the towers. That fact alone should stop a mosque from being build on Ground Zero. Also after folks got upset with San Fran Nan for wanting to investigate people that object to the building, she totally did a back stroke and said what she meant was she wanted to investigate where the funding was coming from. Great blog post Sarah! You hit the proverbial nail right on the head! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, as always! I thought exactly the same thing: C'mon, let's have a little respect! Until I read this illuminating article and remembered past experiences living in cities where a half a block made all the difference between being "Little Greece" and "Little Portugal" or whatever. I don't know if this is right, but it's worth a read:

    http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/08/18/the-mosque-that-is-nowhere-near-ground-zero.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with it? you said we are one of the few countries in history to allow such religious freedom to any and all, i guess that doesn't count if you're a muslim? Were the people that want to build thus mosque the ones that flew those planes? were they the ones that made the decision to commit those horrible acts? The answer, in case you were still confused about these simple facts, is no. What could be a better way to smooth over tension than saying, hey, we have the ability to be accepting and maybe start towards being less closed-minded about the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you read my post very clearly, Anonymous #2. I just expressed what I believe is "wrong with it." Never said that freedom of religion should be denied to Muslims, either. Maybe try reading my post again, and a little closer, because every question you posed in your comment I answered.

    And personally, I think that regrouping from the worst attack on civilians on American soil in our history is a little more than "smoothing out tension." Every Muslim is definitely NOT representative of the ones who committed the atrocity, nor do I insinuate that anywhere. But if the group building this mosque really were concerned with restoring relations, they would make an attempt to comprehend the sensitivity to the location of the mosque...Also worth noting is the constant requests made by the Greek Orthodox Church to be rebuilt (which was actually destroyed during the attacks, as I stated) have been repeatedly ignored. I feel there is more concern with rebuilding "relations" than rebuilding from the attack itself.

    ReplyDelete